More than 20% higher efficiency in transit mode
Based on calculations from model test simulations of Scana CRP-PM system versus Azimuth CRP twin screw system.
- Improved propulsion efficiency due to energy recovery from rotational flow in CRP propeller
- Higher hull efficiency from a single skeg versus twin screw vessel
- High efficiency permanent magnet motors
Scana CRP-PM is ideal for all diesel-electric propelled ships with a high share of transit operation.
Robust and protected CRP propeller
- Fixed pitch propeller system with few movable parts, directly driven from the slow speed PM motors.
- The propeller is protected behind the center skeg far from the ship side, while the propeller tip is well above the baseline and further protected by a solepiece.
Bearings and shaft seals
The Scana CRP-PM system is equipped with Scana CRP bearings and shaft seals in standard or Clean Design execution.
The Scana CRP-PM system is a shaft-in-shaft propulsion system with two separate monoblock fixed pitch propellers. Each of the propellers are individually and directly connected to separate permanent magnet motors.
Minimal difference in DP capabilities
The difference in dynamic positioning capabilities between Azimuth twin screw system and Scana CRP-PM is minimal. Quick response from the system gives excellent manoeuvrability.
Conditions for this DP plot
Scana CRP-PM: 1 x CRP, 2 x tunnel thrusters in aft ship, 2 x tunnel thrusters and 1 x retractable azimuth in forward ship
Azimuth system: 2 x azimuths in aft ship, 2 x tunnel thrusters and 1 x retractable azimuth in forward ship.
Scana CRP-PM system wins Vessel of the Year (2015)
MS Juanita is the first vessel equipped with Scana CRP-PM system. Juanita was awarded Offshore Support Journal’s Offshore Support Vessel of the Year 2015. Juanita has been in successful operation since April 2014.